Monday, December 12, 2016

Christmas Movies

Hey, Jordan here. 

I am a sucker for movies. I love being captivated by a new world, a new idea or a great story. Movies are a way that each of us can travel the world both real and fake. They take us on adventures and make us feel part of the action while watching Bond-like films. 

Christmas movies have all kinds of stories, both awful and fantastic. There are so many classic Christmas and/or Holiday movies that people love. Then, each year, we seem to get a few more that don't seem to have an edge on any of the classics.

My all-time favorite Christmas movie is Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Not the animated film, although that could be considered a classic also, but the Jim Carrey version.

Jim Carrey as the Grinch. Picture from fanpop.com.

I love the whole movie. From the beginning with Anthony Hopkins narration ("Inside of a snowflake, like the one on your sleeve..."), to some of the last lines ("Who wants the gizzard?" ... "I do!" ... "Too late! That'll be mine."). My family is obsessed with this movie. We quote it all the time. I'm pretty sure my sister, Cherise, watches it throughout the year (she blames her son, but we all know the truth). My nieces and nephews also will watch it year-round. It has amazing acting, a great concept and very quotable lines. I haven't watched it yet this year, but I am looking forward to it when I do.

My next favorite Christmas film is The Santa Clause. Tim Allen is one of the best actors ever. He's had some awful movie choices, but overall he is a great actor. If you don't believe me, you clearly never watched Home Improvement or Last Man Standing on TV. 

Tim Allen in The Santa Clause. Picture from top10films.co.uk.

This movie is just incredibly magic. It shows how the role of Santa Claus gets passed from one person to another. It's hilarious because Tim Allen is funny as an ornery business man, that is transformed into the lovable Santa Claus. It's just a classic Christmas film. If you haven't seen it, you need to.

My third favorite Christmas film is hard to choose. I could watch those first two over and over again all Christmas season without being bored. I don't know if I'll actually pick one, just mention a few here. 

While I was younger, I loved Miracle on 34th Street. It's a very magical movie also. I think Christmas Vacation could be placed here also, but I've only seen it a couple of times. Home Alone is great, but I don't really see that as a Christmas film. I also like Elf because I love Will Ferrel, but I don't rank it very high usually. Everyone loves A Christmas Story, but it's not really one of my favorites. It's ok, but not great.

What are your favorite Christmas/Holiday movies?


No comments:

Post a Comment