Saturday, December 23, 2017

"My soul delighteth in the song of the heart"

Have you ever heard a song, especially around Christmas time, that just seems to cut right through you? This has happened many times for me. 

This seems to happen to me more often lately. I don't know if it's because I've seen my family less this year since my mission or what, but I've had songs cut through me on multiple occasions this year.

This has proven to me that the Spirit can be there in daily activities.

While growing up and even now, my mom always makes up songs whether it was to wake her kids up, or to calm the grandchildren down. She has always loved music. I think I got that from her, but not the creativity of making up songs on the spot.

My siblings and I were all told to sing our favorite hymn or primary song if we were ever scared or afraid of something. If you've never tried this, it works.

Music is incredible. It can make someone get up and dance or sing. It can make you feel the Spirit or it can drive the Spirit away. There are so many different songs and styles of music. The lyrics of songs can be so inspiring or so degrading.




It seems every year around Christmas time, I find a different song that I fall in love with. One of the biggest times of this that I remember was in Strasbourg, France. We sang the First Noel in church and I was absolutely punched by the Spirit as we sang it. I couldn't help but tear up (no tears fell, so it's ok).

Typically, I don't love Christmas music. The radio plays the same songs over and over and it gets old fast. One of the few songs that I usually like is "I'll Be Home For Christmas." When it comes to Christmas music though, I'd rather listen to older artists than any recent takes on the classic songs. I love listening to Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Dean Martin. 

For whatever reason, this year, I've loved most versions I've heard of "Silent Night." The lyrics of that song have struck me down. The last verse has been the one that does the trick:

Silent night, Holy night,
Son of God, Love's pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.


Next time you're listening to music, make sure you pay attention to the lyrics. The background music and beats aren't as important as what's being said. Listen to and think about the lyrics of Christmas music, because they usually give you something more than just a fun song. 

Here is one of my favorite songs because of the lyrics:



Even with songs that aren't Christmas related, you can find the Spirit being invited. I hope that you will start seeking out wholesome music, because it can make or break each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment